Re: Extensions versus pg_upgrade

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Extensions versus pg_upgrade
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri@2ndQuadrant.fr> writes:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>> 2. Invent a command "ALTER EXTENSION extname ADD object-description"
>> that simply adds a pg_depend entry marking an existing object as
>> belonging to the extension.  I think this was going to be part of the
>> plan anyway for ALTER EXTENSION UPGRADE, specifically we need that for
>> the bootstrap case of collecting some loose pre-existing objects into
>> an extension.

> In the upgrade patch, that's spelled ALTER OBJECT foo SET EXTENSION bar;
> and does exactly what you're proposing.

OK, that seems like an equally reasonable syntax; although doing it the
way I was thinking might have less of a code and documentation footprint
(I was vaguely imagining that it could share most of the COMMENT
infrastructure --- but haven't looked yet).  In any case it seems like
this is a good piece to do next, since the required functionality is
clear and it's essential for more than one reason.