Re: Block-level CRC checks

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Block-level CRC checks
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Paul Schlie <schlie@comcast.net> writes:
> - however regardless, if some form of error detection ends up being
> implemented, it might be nice to actually log corrupted blocks of data
> along with their previously computed checksums for subsequent analysis
> in an effort to ascertain if there's an opportunity to improve its
> implementation based on this more concrete real-world information.

This feature is getting overdesigned, I think.  It's already the case
that we log an error complaining that thus-and-such a page is corrupt.
Once PG has decided that it won't have anything to do with the page at
all --- it can't load it into shared buffers, so it won't write it
either.  So the user can go inspect the page at leisure with whatever
tools seem handy.  I don't see a need for more verbose logging.