Re: BUG #16302: too many range table entries - when count partition table(65538 childs)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: BUG #16302: too many range table entries - when count partition table(65538 childs)
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Amit Langote <amitlangote09@gmail.com> writes:
> On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 12:03 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org> writes:
>>> ERROR:  54000: too many range table entries

>> This hardly seems like a bug.  We do not support an infinite number of
>> partitions --- and in the real world, performance would have tanked
>> long before you got to this many partitions.

> Would it make sense to document this hard upper bound on the number of
> relations that can be handled by a query?

Well, if we say "PG can handle up to 64K relations in a query",
I think people would read that as meaning that you actually get
usable performance with up to 64K relations.  Which is a long
way away, even if certain specific cases might work acceptably.
The existing docs discourage using more than a few thousand
partitions, IIRC, and that seems like sufficient guidance for now.