Re: GIN and GiST index - more in depth info

От Markus Wollny
Тема Re: GIN and GiST index - more in depth info
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> For sure I had a look to Oleg Bartunov' s and Teodor Sigaev's
> website at http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/wiki/ but for me
> it's still not clear how to describe the differences between
> the indexes and the usage scenarios when to use GIN or GiST.

As far as I understand it's a matter of usage scenario. GIN is extremely
slow on updates, I seem to remember somewhere that it's actually often
better to simply recreate the complete index than to update it; GiST's
write performance is not half as bad. On the other hand, GIN is much
faster on reads than GiST. If you've got some data that is read-only in
nature, you'll probably fare better with GIN. If you need frequent
updates, GiST ist the better choice. In certain scenarios you would use
partial indexes to have a GiST index on current, still heavily updated
data, and a GIN index on older, "archived" rows which are not updated
any longer.

Kind regards

   Markus

Jede Stimme zahlt, jetzt voten fur die besten Games: www.bamaward.de

Computec Media AG
Sitz der Gesellschaft und Registergericht: Furth (HRB 8818)
Vorstandsmitglieder: Albrecht Hengstenberg (Vorsitzender) und Rainer Rosenbusch
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Jurg Marquard
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer: DE 812 575 276