Re: Documentation of return values of range functions lower and upper

От Fujii Masao
Тема Re: Documentation of return values of range functions lower and upper
Дата
Список pgsql-docs

On 2020/11/12 17:14, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> On Wed, 2020-11-11 at 18:19 +0100, Laurenz Albe wrote:
>>> Table 9.54 in page
>>> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/functions-range.html states that the
>>> functions lower and upper return NULL if the requested bound is infinite. If
>>> the element type of the range contains the special values infinity and
>>> -infinity, this is not correct, as those values are returned if explicitly
>>> used as either bound.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> Perhaps it would be better to say
>>
>>    NULL if the range is empty or has no lower/upper bound

I agree this description looks a bit confusing. But according to the section
"Infinite (Unbounded) Ranges" (*1), we already call "lower/upper bound
omitted" just infinite. So I don't think the current description is incorrect.

(*1)
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/rangetypes.html#RANGETYPES-INFINITE

Regards,

--