Re: Numeric field quirk [Again]

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Numeric field quirk [Again]
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Matthew Hagerty <matthew@venux.net> writes:
> Well, it seems that the numeric issue I was having has nothing to do with
> the precision and scale being set the same, it has to do with the input
> data.  The precision has to be at least 2 greater than the biggest number
> you need to enter, i.e.

> equinox=# create table test ( d numeric(4,2) );
> CREATE
> equinox=# insert into test values(10);
> INSERT 167844 1
> equinox=# insert into test values(101);
> ERROR:  overflow on numeric ABS(value) >= 10^2 for field with precision 4
> scale 2

Precision is the total number of digits, scale is the number of digits
to the right of the decimal point.  So the above (4,2) means numbers
like XX.XX --- and obviously 10 fits, 101 doesn't.  Your previous
example of (3,3) means numbers like .XXX --- no integer will fit,
but fractions will.  I see no bug here...