Re: Merge pgjdbc-parent-poms project into pgjdbc please

От Pavel Raiskup
Тема Re: Merge pgjdbc-parent-poms project into pgjdbc please
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
On Monday 25 of January 2016 08:46:56 Dave Cramer wrote:
> Well like it or not, spring is arguably the largest enterprise java
> dependency and it has hundreds if not thousands of dependencies which
> enterprise users happily download.

I can concur with you, Dave.  There are people who are OK with that.

> So I'm not sure how your argument holds water.

Sure.  You may choose to force users to use maven everywhere, via not
allowing us to build from source.  But I'm here please you not to do that.

> I would imagine from a redhat perspective redhat is the only trusted
> source.  However this is 2016 and the sheer volume of dependencies
> modern software requires makes this presumption untenable.

Substitute Red Hat with any Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris etc. distributions.
All of those are used and trusted.  At least nowadays -- making this
totally off-topic is not worth;  I'm just trying to build from source.

Believe it or not -- there are people who do not trust maven repositories
-- and I'm not sure whether PostgreSQL project should encourage people to
use maven repositories everywhere.  PostgreSQL should be re-distribuable
everywhere, if possible.

> This argument is not constructive but an attempt to show another point
> of view.

Ack.

> I have asked to join the osgi-dev list and will ask them how to deal
> with this issue

Right, but our mission is to distribute pgjdbc, not OSGi (which is
something osgi-dev will tell you probably).  If we could opt-out it, it
would be fine.

Pavel

Сообщение: Re: Merge pgjdbc-parent-poms project into pgjdbc please
Сообщение: Re: Merge pgjdbc-parent-poms project into pgjdbc please