Re: Question: merit / feasibility of compressing frontend

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Question: merit / feasibility of compressing frontend
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Greg Copeland <greg@copelandconsulting.net> writes:
> Bluntly put, requiring SSH or some other compression tunnel is a
> horrible idea!  For many users, this is well beyond something they are
> prepared to implement, configure and use on a daily basis.  Especially,
> once you mix in Windows users.  Let's face it.  Say SSH three times fast
> to the majority of Win32 users and let me know how many times they blink
> while blankly staring back at you.  ;)

But "zlib" three times fast will draw a more intelligent response?
Sorry, you're not making a coherent case at all from where I sit.

The average point-and-drool Win32 user doesn't even need a database;
he needs an application solution several levels above that.  That
application solution will incorporate components like Postgres, SSH,
or whatever is needed.  Expecting Postgres to implement functionality
that is better served by other components is simply bad design in
my book.  We would spend our time more wisely to focus on database
functionality that doesn't overlap with other components.

Сообщение: Re: The standard 'why does it take so long' question
Сообщение: Re: The standard 'why does it take so long' question