Re: Tablespace issues (comment on ,moving indexes)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Tablespace issues (comment on ,moving indexes)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Kevin Brown <kevin@sysexperts.com> writes:
> ...  But what we're talking about
> here is brand new functionality for which the language hasn't been
> defined yet.

You're missing the point, which is that there *is* a precedent of long
standing.  ALTER TABLE has worked on indexes (and sequences, and views)
for those cases in which the operation sensibly applied for a long time.
In particular, the original 7.1 implementation of ALTER TABLE OWNER
would work on tables, indexes, sequences, and views.  Should we really
have insisted on inventing four syntaxes for the identical operation?
Maybe, but we didn't, and now there is a precedent to follow.