Re: [HACKERS] tablesync patch broke the assumption that logical repdepends on?

От Petr Jelinek
Тема Re: [HACKERS] tablesync patch broke the assumption that logical repdepends on?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 13/04/17 19:31, Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 1:28 AM, Peter Eisentraut
>> On 4/10/17 13:28, Fujii Masao wrote:
>>>          src/backend/replication/logical/launcher.c
>>>          * Worker started and attached to our shmem. This check is safe
>>>          * because only launcher ever starts the workers, so nobody can steal
>>>          * the worker slot.
>>>
>>> The tablesync patch enabled even worker to start another worker.
>>> So the above assumption is not valid for now.
>>>
>>> This issue seems to cause the corner case where the launcher picks up
>>> the same worker slot that previously-started worker has already picked
>>> up to start another worker.
>>
>> I think what the comment should rather say is that workers are always
>> started through logicalrep_worker_launch() and worker slots are always
>> handed out while holding LogicalRepWorkerLock exclusively, so nobody can
>> steal the worker slot.
>>
>> Does that make sense?
>
> No unless I'm missing something.
>
> logicalrep_worker_launch() picks up unused worker slot (slot's proc == NULL)
> while holding LogicalRepWorkerLock. But it releases the lock before the slot
> is marked as used (i.e., slot is set to non-NULL). Then newly-launched worker
> calls logicalrep_worker_attach() and marks the slot as used.
>
> So if another logicalrep_worker_launch() starts after LogicalRepWorkerLock
> is released before the slot is marked as used, it can pick up the same slot
> because that slot looks unused.

Yeah I think it's less of a problem of that comment than the fact that
logicalrep_worker_launch isn't concurrency safe. We need in_use marker
for the workers and update it as needed instead of relying on pgproc.
I'll write up something over the weekend.

Services