Re: Better management of mergejoinable operators

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Better management of mergejoinable operators
Дата
Re: Better management of mergejoinable operators  (Michael Glaesemann <grzm@seespotcode.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Michael Glaesemann <grzm@seespotcode.net> writes:
> On Dec 13, 2006, at 7:56 , Tom Lane wrote:
>> Right offhand I cannot see a reason why there should be different
>> equality operators with the same sortops.  (If anyone can come up with
>> a plausible scenario for that, stop me here...)

> I think this makes sense. Would this be affected at all by equality
> of text strings, taking into account locale?

If it is, then we'd have far greater problems to deal with than just
this one --- the entire operator/function structure is built on the
assumption that there is, say, only one "=" between any two datatypes.
I think if locale wants actually different operators then it will have
to make strings of different locales be distinct datatypes.

It's probably a lot more practical to keep text as just one datatype and
store the locale indicator as part of each value.  (There's also been
some blue sky thoughts about trying to keep it in typmod, but that
wouldn't result in multiple operators either.)