Re: Problem with fixed length fields.

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Problem with fixed length fields.
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Oliver Jowett <oliver@opencloud.com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> It would probably be a good idea to do a Describe Statement to verify
>> that the parameter got resolved as one of those, but this need not add
>> a round-trip, since you could issue it with the Parse message.

> Currently the driver issues Parse, Bind, Describe(portal), Execute,
> Sync. If I understand correctly, you're suggesting we do Parse,
> Describe(statement), Bind, Describe(portal), Execute, Sync.

Oh, I was thinking in terms of setting up a prepared statement.  You're
right, it seems risky to forge ahead to the Execute with an unknown
parameter type.

An alternative that might be worth investigating is to specify the type
as varchar instead of text.  I am not sure of all the ramifications of
this but in 7.4 and later it seems like it might do what you want.