Re: [HACKERS] src/test/subscription/t/002_types.pl hanging on particular environment

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] src/test/subscription/t/002_types.pl hanging on particular environment
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> This type of violent shutdown seems to be associated with occasional
> corruption of .gcda files (the files output by GCC coverage builds).
> The symptoms are that if you use --enable-coverage and make
> check-world you'll very occasionally get a spurious TAP test failure
> like this:

> #   Failed test 'pg_ctl start: no stderr'
> #   at /home/travis/build/postgresql-cfbot/postgresql/src/bin/pg_ctl/../../../src/test/perl/TestLib.pm
> line 301.
> #          got:
> 'profiling:/home/travis/build/postgresql-cfbot/postgresql/src/backend/nodes/copyfuncs.gcda:Merge
> mismatch for function 94
> # '
> #     expected: ''

> I'm not sure of the exact mechanism though.  GCC supplies a function
> __gcov_flush() that normally runs at exit or execve, so if you're
> killed without reaching those you don't get any .gcda data.  Perhaps
> we are in exit (or fork/exec) partway through writing out coverage
> data in __gcov_flush(), and at that moment we are killed.  Then a
> subsequent run of instrumented code will find the half-written file
> and print the "Merge mismatch" message.

On a slow/loaded machine, perhaps it could be that the postmaster loses
patience and SIGKILLs a backend that's still writing its .gcda data?
If so, maybe we could make SIGKILL_CHILDREN_AFTER_SECS longer in
coverage builds?  Or bite the bullet and make it configurable ...