Re: [HACKERS] [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix bool/int type confusion

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix bool/int type confusion
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 9/21/17 11:46, Tom Lane wrote:
>> This also means that the portability problem is purely hypothetical;
>> given valid tz reference data the code wouldn't ever try to increment
>> "hit" to 2 anyway.  It's even more hypothetical for us, because we don't
>> use leap-second-aware zones.

> It's not so much that there is an actual portability problem.  The
> problem is that the compiler issues a warning for this with stdbool.

Understood.

>> Therefore, what I would like to do is revert this commit (0ec2e908b),
>> and then either leave the problem to be fixed by our next regular sync
>> with a released tzcode version, or else force a sync with their git tip
>> to absorb their fix now.  In either case we should keep all our live
>> branches in sync.  I'm willing to do the code-sync work either way.

> That makes sense.  There is no urgency on the stdbool patch set, so
> waiting for this to be resolved properly around November seems reasonable.

I've just been going through their git commit log to see what else has
changed since tzcode2017b, and I note that there are half a dozen other
portability-ish fixes.  I think that some of them affect only code we
don't use, but I'm not sure that that's the case for all.  So I'm a bit
inclined to go with plan B, that is sync with their current HEAD now.
As far as I've been able to tell, they don't have any special code QA
process that they apply before a release.  They push out releases based
on the need to update the tzdata files, and the tzcode just rides along
with that in whatever state it is in.  So there's not really any
reliability gain from waiting for an official code release --- it just
is a bit easier to document what we synced to.  That being the case,
absorbing their changes in smaller chunks rather than bigger ones seems
easier.  I don't have the sync process totally automated, but it's not
that painful as long as there are not too many changes at once.