Re: Can we trust fsync?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Can we trust fsync?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> The amount of change in write reliablity behaviour in Linux across
> kernel versions, file systems and storage abstraction layers is worrying
> - different results for LVM vs !LVM, md vs !md, ext3 vs other, etc.

Well, we pretty much *have to* trust fsync --- there's not a lot we can
do if the kernel doesn't get this right.  My takeaway is that you don't
want to be running a production database on bleeding-edge kernels or
filesystem stacks.  If you want to use Linux, use a distro from a vendor
with a track record for caring about stability.  (I'll omit the commercial
for my former employers, but ...)

Also, it's not that hard to do plug-pull testing to verify that your
system is telling the truth about fsync.  This really ought to be part
of acceptance testing for any new DB server.