Re: streamlined standby procedure

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: streamlined standby procedure
Дата
Re: streamlined standby procedure  (Marko Kreen <markokr@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Andrew Rawnsley <ronz@investoranalytics.com> writes:
> IMHO the #1 priority in the current PITR/WAL shipping system is to make the
> standby able to tolerate being shut down and restarted, i.e. actually having
> a true standby mode and not the current method of doing it only on startup.

How is shutting down the standby a good idea?  Seems like that will
block the master too --- or at least result in WAL log files piling up
rapidly.  If the standby goes off-line, abandoning it and starting from
a fresh base backup when you are ready to restart it seems like the most
likely recovery path.  For sure I don't see this as the "#1 priority".