Re: .gitignore files, take two

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: .gitignore files, take two
Дата
Re: .gitignore files, take two  (Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com>)
Re: .gitignore files, take two  (Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams@toroid.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> On tis, 2010-09-21 at 00:00 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> 3. What are the ignore filesets *for*, in particular should they list
>> just the derived files expected in a distribution tarball, or all the
>> files in the set of build products in a normal build?

> My personal vote: Forget the whole thing.

The folks who are more familiar with git than I seem to be pretty clear
that we need to ignore all build products.  I don't think that "ignore
nothing" is going to work pleasantly at all.  On reflection I realize
that cvs ignore and git ignore are considerably different because they
come into play at different times: cvs ignore really only matters while
doing "cvs update" to pull in new code, while git ignore matters while
you're constructing a commit.  So you really do need git ignore to
ignore all build products; otherwise you'll have lots of chatter in
"git status".