Re: Undetected Deadlock

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Undetected Deadlock
Дата
Список pgsql-general

https://github.com/postgres/postgres/commit/09cf1d52267644cdbdb734294012cf1228745aaa#diff-b12a7ca3bf9c6a56745844c2670b0b28d2a4237741c395dda318c6cc3664ad4a

>> After this commit, once an alarm is missed, that backend never sets
>> one again, so no timeouts of any kind will work. Therefore, the
>> deadlock detector was never being run. Prior to that, the next time
>> any timeout was set by the backend it would re-establish it's timer.
>>
>> We will of course fix our own code to prevent this issue, but I am a
>> little concerned at the above commit as it reduces the robustness of
>> postgres in this situation. Perhaps I will raise it on the
>> pgsql-hackers list.

> Hmm, so you turned off Postgres' alarms so they stopped working, and
> you're saying that is a robustness issue of Postgres?

If Michael's analysis were accurate, I'd agree that there is a robustness
issue, but I don't think there is.  See timeout.c:220:

        /*
         * Get the time remaining till the nearest pending timeout.  If it is
         * negative, assume that we somehow missed an interrupt, and force
         * signal_pending off.  This gives us a chance to recover if the
         * kernel drops a timeout request for some reason.
         */
        nearest_timeout = active_timeouts[0]->fin_time;
        if (now > nearest_timeout)
        {
            signal_pending = false;
            /* force an interrupt as soon as possible */
            secs = 0;
            usecs = 1;
        }

Now admittedly we don't have a good way to test this stanza, but
it should result in re-establishing the timer interrupt the next
time any timeout.c API is invoked after a missed interrupt.
I don't see anything more that we could or should do.  We're
not going to issue setitimer() after every user-defined function
call.