Feature: POSIX Shared memory support

От Chris Marcellino
Тема Feature: POSIX Shared memory support
Дата
Список pgsql-patches
On Mac OS X and other BSD's, the default System V shared memory
limits are often very low and require adjustment for acceptable
performance. Particularly, when Postgres is included as part of
larger end-user friendly software products, these kernel settings are
often difficult to change for 2 reasons:

1. The (arbitrarily) limited resources must be shared by all programs
that use System V shared memory. For example on my Mac OS X computer,
I have Postgres running a standalone database, but also as part of
Apple Remote Desktop. Without manual adjustment, running both
simultaneously causes one of them to fail. Correcting this in any
robust way is challenging to automate for consumer-style (i.e. Mac)
installers.

2. On these BSD's, this System V shared memory is wired down and
cannot be swapped out for any reason. If Postgres is running as part
of another software program or is a lower priority, other programs
cannot use the potentially limited memory. This places the user or
developer in a tricky position of having to minimize overall system
impact, while permitting enough shared memory for Postgres to perform
well.

To this end, I have "ported" the svsv_shmem.c layer to use the POSIX
calls (which are some ways more robust w.r.t reducing collision by
using strings as shared memory id's, instead of ints).

In principle, this should not have any significant affect on
performance. Running PGBench on a few different load types gives very
similar results (-3%/+1%), that aren't very statistically
significant. Of course, on a un-tuned Mac OS X machine (where the
original SysV version is limited to the default 4MB) the POSIX
version outperforms significantly (+250%). Using the POSIX calls
helps minimize the kernel side of the tuning, which is a big plus for
integrated uses of Postgres, but also for other amateur installations
(i.e. Fink).

If this is appropriate for the distribution, it could become a
'contrib' add-on or it could be a autoconf custom build option until
it reached greater maturity.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? I would also appreciate any advice on more
sophisticate ways to measure the performance impacts of a change like
this.

Thanks,
Chris Marcellino
Apple Computer, Inc.

src/backend/port/posix_shmem.c
/
*-----------------------------------------------------------------------
--
  *
  * posix_shmem.c

*-----------------------------------------------------------------------
--
  */
#include "postgres.h"

#include <signal.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <sys/file.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <sys/mman.h>
#ifdef HAVE_KERNEL_OS_H
#include <kernel/OS.h>
#endif

#include "miscadmin.h"
#include "storage/ipc.h"
#include "storage/pg_shmem.h"

#define IPCProtection    (0600)    /* access/modify by user only */
#define IPCNameLength        32    /* must be long enough to contain all
possible format strings
                                 * see GenerateIPDName */

unsigned long UsedShmemSegID = 0;
void       *UsedShmemSegAddr = NULL;

static void GenerateIPCName(int memKey, char *dest);
static void *InternalIpcMemoryCreate(int memKey, Size size);
static void IpcMemoryDetach(int status, Datum shmaddr);
static void IpcMemoryDelete(int status, Datum memKey);
static PGShmemHeader *PGSharedMemoryAttach(int key);

/*
  *    GenerateIPCName(key, dest)
  *
  * Generate a shared memory object key name using the argument key.
  * This uses the magic number and text to prevent collisions from other
  * apps.
  */
static void
GenerateIPCName(int memKey, char *dest)
{
    /* This must be 31 characters or less for portability (i.e. Mac OS
X) */
    sprintf(dest, "PostgreSQL.%lx.%lx", PGShmemMagic, memKey);
}

/*
  *    InternalIpcMemoryCreate(memKey, size)
  *
  * Attempt to create a new shared memory segment with the specified
key.
  * Will fail (return NULL) if such a segment already exists.  If
successful,
  * attach the segment to the current process and return its attached
address.
  * On success, callbacks are registered with on_shmem_exit to detach
and
  * delete the segment when on_shmem_exit is called.
  *
  * If we fail with a failure code other than collision-with-existing-
segment,
  * print out an error and abort.  Other types of errors are not
recoverable.
  */
static void *
InternalIpcMemoryCreate(int memKey, Size size)
{
    int            fd;
    void       *memAddress;
    char        keyName[IPCNameLength];
    struct        stat statbuf;

    GenerateIPCName(memKey, keyName);
    fd = shm_open(keyName, O_RDWR | O_CREAT | O_EXCL, IPCProtection);

    if (fd < 0)
    {
        /*
         * Fail quietly if error indicates a collision with existing segment.
         * One would expect EEXIST, given that we said O_EXCL.
         */
        if (errno == EEXIST || errno == EACCES)
            return NULL;

        /*
         * Else complain and abort
         */
        ereport(FATAL,
                (errmsg("could not create shared memory segment: %m"),
          errdetail("Failed system call was shm_open(name=%s, oflag=%lu,
mode=%lu).",
                    keyName, (unsigned long) O_CREAT | O_EXCL,
                    (unsigned long) IPCProtection),
                 (errno == EMFILE) ?
                 errhint("This error means that the process has reached its limit "
                         "for open file descriptors.") : 0,
                 (errno == ENOSPC) ?
                 errhint("This error means the process has ran out of address "
                         "space.") : 0));
    }

    /* Register on-exit routine to delete the new segment */
    on_shmem_exit(IpcMemoryDelete, Int32GetDatum(memKey));

    /* Increase the size of the file descriptor to the desired length.
     * If this fails so will mmap since it can't map size bytes. */
    fstat(fd, &statbuf);
    if (statbuf.st_size < size)
        ftruncate(fd, size);

    /* OK, should be able to attach to the segment */
    memAddress = mmap(NULL, size, PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE, MAP_SHARED,
fd, 0);
    close(fd);

    if (memAddress == (void *) -1)
        elog(FATAL, "mmap(fd=%d) failed: %m", fd);

    /* Register on-exit routine to detach new segment before deleting */
    on_shmem_exit(IpcMemoryDetach, PointerGetDatum(memAddress));

    /* Record key and ID in lockfile for data directory. */
    RecordSharedMemoryInLockFile((unsigned long) memKey, 0);

    return memAddress;
}

/
****/
/*    IpcMemoryDetach(status, shmaddr)    removes a shared memory segment        */
/*                                        from process' address space        */
/*    (called as an on_shmem_exit callback, hence funny argument list)        */
/
****/
static void
IpcMemoryDetach(int status, Datum shmaddr)
{
    PGShmemHeader  *hdr;
    hdr = (PGShmemHeader *) DatumGetPointer(shmaddr);
    if (munmap(DatumGetPointer(shmaddr), hdr->totalsize) < 0)
        elog(LOG, "munmap(%p, ...) failed: %m", DatumGetPointer(shmaddr));
}

/
****/
/*    IpcMemoryDelete(status, fd)        deletes a shared memory segment        */
/*    (called as an on_shmem_exit callback, hence funny argument list)        */
/
****/
static void
IpcMemoryDelete(int status, Datum memKey)
{
    char        keyName[IPCNameLength];
    GenerateIPCName(memKey, keyName);

    if (shm_unlink(keyName) < 0)
        elog(LOG, "shm_unlink(%s) failed: %m", keyName);
}

/*
  * PGSharedMemoryIsInUse
  *
  * Is a previously-existing shmem segment still existing and in use?
  *
  * The point of this exercise is to detect the case where a prior
postmaster
  * crashed, but it left child backends that are still running.
Therefore
  * we only care about shmem segments that are associated with the
intended
  * DataDir.  This is an important consideration since accidental
matches of
  * shmem segment IDs are reasonably common.
  */
bool
PGSharedMemoryIsInUse(unsigned long id1, unsigned long id2)
{
    char        keyName[IPCNameLength];
    PGShmemHeader  *hdr;
    int            fd, isValidHeader;

#ifndef WIN32
    struct stat statbuf;
#endif

    GenerateIPCName(id1, keyName);

    /*
     * We detect whether a shared memory segment is in use by seeing
whether
     * it (a) exists and (b) has any processes are attached to it.
     */
    fd = shm_open(keyName, O_RDWR, 0);
    if (fd < 0)
    {
        /*
         * ENOENT means the segment no longer exists.
         */
        if (errno == ENOENT)
            return false;

        /*
         * EACCES implies that the segment belongs to some other userid, which
         * means it is not a Postgres shmem segment that is relevant to our
         * data directory.
         */
        if (errno == EACCES)
            return false;

        /*
         * Otherwise, we had better assume that the segment is in use.
         */
        return true;
    }

    /*
     * Try to attach to the segment and see if it matches our data
directory.
     * This avoids fd-conflict problems on machines that are running
     * several postmasters under the same userid.  On Windows, which
doesn't
     * have useful inode numbers, we can't do this so we punt and assume
there
     * is a conflict.
     */
#ifdef WIN32
    close(fd);
    return true;
#endif

    if (stat(DataDir, &statbuf) < 0)
    {
        close(fd);
        return true;            /* if can't stat, be conservative */
    }

    hdr = (PGShmemHeader *) mmap(NULL, sizeof(PGShmemHeader), PROT_READ,
MAP_SHARED, fd, 0);
    close(fd);

    if (hdr == (PGShmemHeader *) -1)
        return true;            /* if can't attach, be conservative */

    isValidHeader = hdr->magic != PGShmemMagic ||
        hdr->device != statbuf.st_dev ||
        hdr->inode != statbuf.st_ino;
    munmap((void *) hdr, sizeof(PGShmemHeader));

    if (isValidHeader)
    {
        /*
         * It's either not a Postgres segment, or not one for my data
         * directory.  In either case it poses no threat.
         */
        munmap((void *) hdr, sizeof(PGShmemHeader));
        return false;
    }

    /* Trouble --- looks a lot like there's still live backends */

    return true;
}

/*
  * PGSharedMemoryCreate
  *
  * Create a shared memory segment of the given size and initialize its
  * standard header.  Also, register an on_shmem_exit callback to
release
  * the storage.
  *
  * Dead Postgres segments are recycled if found, but we do not fail
upon
  * collision with non-Postgres shmem segments.    The idea here is to
detect and
  * re-use keys that may have been assigned by a crashed postmaster
or backend.
  *
  * makePrivate means to always create a new segment, rather than
attach to
  * or recycle any existing segment.
  *
  * The port number is passed for possible use as a key (for SysV, we
use
  * it to generate the starting shmem key).    In a standalone backend,
  * zero will be passed.
  */
PGShmemHeader *
PGSharedMemoryCreate(Size size, bool makePrivate, int port)
{
    int            NextShmemSegID;
    void       *memAddress;
    PGShmemHeader *hdr;
    char        keyName[IPCNameLength];

#ifndef WIN32
    struct stat statbuf;
#endif

    /* Room for a header? */
    Assert(size > MAXALIGN(sizeof(PGShmemHeader)));

    /* Make sure PGSharedMemoryAttach doesn't fail without need */
    UsedShmemSegAddr = NULL;

    /* Loop till we find a free IPC key */
    NextShmemSegID = port * 1000;

    for (NextShmemSegID++;; NextShmemSegID++)
    {
        /* Try to create new segment */
        memAddress = InternalIpcMemoryCreate(NextShmemSegID, size);
        if (memAddress)
            break;                /* successful create and attach */

        /* Check shared memory and possibly remove and recreate */

        if (makePrivate)        /* a standalone backend shouldn't do this */
            continue;

        if ((memAddress = PGSharedMemoryAttach(NextShmemSegID)) == NULL)
            continue;            /* can't attach, not one of mine */

        /*
         * If I am not the creator and it belongs to an extant process,
         * continue.
         */
        hdr = (PGShmemHeader *) memAddress;
        if (hdr->creatorPID != getpid())
        {
            if (kill(hdr->creatorPID, 0) == 0 || errno != ESRCH)
            {
                munmap(memAddress, hdr->totalsize);
                continue;        /* segment belongs to a live process */
            }
        }

        /*
         * The segment appears to be from a dead Postgres process, or from a
         * previous cycle of life in this same process.  Zap it, if possible.
         * This probably shouldn't fail, but if it does, assume the segment
         * belongs to someone else after all, and continue quietly.
         */
        GenerateIPCName(NextShmemSegID, keyName);

        munmap(memAddress, hdr->totalsize);
        if (shm_unlink(keyName) < 0)
            continue;

        /*
         * Now try again to create the segment.
         */
        memAddress = InternalIpcMemoryCreate(NextShmemSegID, size);
        if (memAddress)
            break;                /* successful create and attach */

        /*
         * Can only get here if some other process managed to create the same
         * shmem key before we did.  Let him have that one, loop around to try
         * next key.
         */
    }

    /*
     * OK, we created a new segment.  Mark it as created by this
process. The
     * order of assignments here is critical so that another Postgres
process
     * can't see the header as valid but belonging to an invalid PID!
     */
    hdr = (PGShmemHeader *) memAddress;
    hdr->creatorPID = getpid();
    hdr->magic = PGShmemMagic;

#ifndef WIN32
    /* Fill in the data directory ID info, too */
    if (stat(DataDir, &statbuf) < 0)
        ereport(FATAL,
                (errcode_for_file_access(),
                 errmsg("could not stat data directory \"%s\": %m",
                        DataDir)));
    hdr->device = statbuf.st_dev;
    hdr->inode = statbuf.st_ino;
#endif

    /*
     * Initialize space allocation status for segment.
     */
    hdr->totalsize = size;
    hdr->freeoffset = MAXALIGN(sizeof(PGShmemHeader));

    /* Save info for possible future use */
    UsedShmemSegAddr = memAddress;
    UsedShmemSegID = (unsigned long) NextShmemSegID;

    return hdr;
}

#ifdef EXEC_BACKEND

/*
  * PGSharedMemoryReAttach
  *
  * Re-attach to an already existing shared memory segment.    In the non
  * EXEC_BACKEND case this is not used, because postmaster children
inherit
  * the shared memory segment attachment via fork().
  *
  * UsedShmemSegID and UsedShmemSegAddr are implicit parameters to this
  * routine.  The caller must have already restored them to the
postmaster's
  * values.
  */
void
PGSharedMemoryReAttach(void)
{
    int fd;
    void       *hdr;
    void       *origUsedShmemSegAddr = UsedShmemSegAddr;

    Assert(UsedShmemSegAddr != NULL);
    Assert(IsUnderPostmaster);

#ifdef __CYGWIN__
    /* cygipc (currently) appears to not detach on exec. */
    PGSharedMemoryDetach();
    UsedShmemSegAddr = origUsedShmemSegAddr;
#endif

    elog(DEBUG3, "attaching to %p", UsedShmemSegAddr);
    hdr = (void *) PGSharedMemoryAttach((int) UsedShmemSegID);
    if (hdr == NULL)
        elog(FATAL, "could not reattach to shared memory (key=%d, addr=%p):
%m",
             (int) UsedShmemSegID, UsedShmemSegAddr);
    if (hdr != origUsedShmemSegAddr)
        elog(FATAL, "reattaching to shared memory returned unexpected
address (got %p, expected %p)",
             hdr, origUsedShmemSegAddr);

    UsedShmemSegAddr = hdr;        /* probably redundant */
}
#endif   /* EXEC_BACKEND */

/*
  * PGSharedMemoryDetach
  *
  * Detach from the shared memory segment, if still attached.  This
is not
  * intended for use by the process that originally created the segment
  * (it will have an on_shmem_exit callback registered to do that).
Rather,
  * this is for subprocesses that have inherited an attachment and
want to
  * get rid of it.
  */
void
PGSharedMemoryDetach(void)
{
    PGShmemHeader  *hdr;
    if (UsedShmemSegAddr != NULL)
    {
        hdr = (PGShmemHeader *) UsedShmemSegAddr;
        if (munmap(UsedShmemSegAddr, hdr->totalsize) < 0)
            elog(LOG, "munmap(%p) failed: %m", UsedShmemSegAddr);
        UsedShmemSegAddr = NULL;
    }
}

/*
  * Attach to shared memory and make sure it has a Postgres header
  *
  * Returns attach address if OK, else NULL
  */
static PGShmemHeader *
PGSharedMemoryAttach(int key)
{
    PGShmemHeader *hdr;
    char        keyName[IPCNameLength];
    Size        size;
    int            fd;

    GenerateIPCName(key, keyName);
    if ((fd = shm_open(keyName, O_RDWR, 0)) < 0)
        return NULL;

    hdr = (PGShmemHeader *) mmap(UsedShmemSegAddr, sizeof(PGShmemHeader),
                                 PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE, MAP_SHARED, fd, 0);

    if (hdr == (PGShmemHeader *) -1)
    {
        close(fd);
        return NULL;            /* failed: must be some other app's */
    }

    if (hdr->magic != PGShmemMagic)
    {
        close(fd);
        munmap((void *) hdr, sizeof(PGShmemHeader));
        return NULL;            /* segment belongs to a non-Postgres app */
    }

    /* Since the segment has a valid Postgres header, unmap and re-map
it with the proper size */
    size = hdr->totalsize;
    munmap((void *) hdr, sizeof(PGShmemHeader));
    hdr = (PGShmemHeader *) mmap(UsedShmemSegAddr, size, PROT_READ |
PROT_WRITE, MAP_SHARED, fd, 0);
    close(fd);

    return hdr;
}