Re: Views, views, views: Summary of Arguments

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Views, views, views: Summary of Arguments
Дата
Re: Views, views, views: Summary of Arguments  (elein@varlena.com (elein))
Список pgsql-hackers
"Thomas F. O'Connell" <tfo@sitening.com> writes:
> I think it's important to consider the perspective of both developers
> and users, and the internal views clearly creates issues for the
> developers.

FWIW, I don't see the issue as "internal vs external" at all.  What's
bothering me is whether these views can be considered sufficiently
more stable and better designed than the physical system catalogs
to justify recommending that application designers should rely on
the views instead of the catalogs.  That point doesn't seem to me
to have been proven.  The recent arguments in favor seem to boil down to
"novices will find these easier to use", which is very possibly true,
but novices don't have the same needs as programs.