Re: Storing images in PostgreSQL databases (again)

От Leonel Nunez
Тема Re: Storing images in PostgreSQL databases (again)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> Leonel Nunez wrote:
>>> I think the arguments for keeping stuff inside the database are
>>> (a) far easier to maintain transactional semantics for insert/delete,
>>> and (b) easier to serve the data out to clients that aren't on the
>>> same machine.  You aren't going to find a performance win though.
>>>

>>  (c) easy to replicate
>
> I don't follow that.  Suppose your database minus images is 3 GB, and
> your images are another 50 gigabytes.  Which is easier to replicate, 3
> or 53?  Put the images on a file server, separate from the DBs - no need
> to replicate them.

yes 3GB are  *faster*  han 53 gb  but is the same as easy as 3 or 100

> And if you do want to copy (e.g., your replicated DB
> is in a remote location), you can do a simple file system copy to the
> corresponding remote file server.

this is done with  automatic  replication  as  the  data  is  inserted,
deleted  or  updated.

When I say  data  I mean  records  , images, pdfs and all the objects I use

>>  (d) easy to  load balancing
>
> If you're load balancing, both databases are in the same location,
> right?  In which case you only need one set of images on a central file
> server.

the  bigger data are the images  so  1 set of images is not a real
solution for me.

with all the data stored on the database gives me more scalability,
consistency, flexibility  than  putting  the "files"  on the disk and
"data" on the database