Re: dynamic result sets support in extended query protocol

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: dynamic result sets support in extended query protocol
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2020-10-09 21:02, Dave Cramer wrote:
> For the most part we know exactly which types we want in binary for 99%
> of queries.
>
>     The hard part around this really is whether and how to deal with changes
>     in type definitions. From types just being created - comparatively
>     simple - to extensions being dropped and recreated, with oids
>     potentially being reused.
>

> Fair point but this is going to be much more complex than just sending
> most of the results in binary which would speed up the overwhelming
> majority of queries

I've been studying in more detail how the JDBC driver handles binary
format use.  Having some kind of message "use binary for these types"
would match its requirements quite exactly.  (I have also studied
npgsql, but it appears to work quite differently.  More input from there
and other places with similar requirements would be welcome.)  The
question as mentioned above is how to deal with type changes.  Let's
work through a couple of options.

We could send the type/format list with every query.  For example, we
could extend/enhance/alter the Bind message so that instead of a
format-per-column it sends a format-per-type.  But then you'd need to
send the complete type list every time.  The JDBC driver currently has
20+ types already hardcoded and more optionally, so you'd send 100+
bytes for every query, plus required effort for encoding and decoding.
That seems unattractive.

Or we send the type/format list once near the beginning of the session.
Then we need to deal with types being recreated or updated etc.

The first option is that we "lock" the types against changes (ignoring
whether that's actually possible right now).  That would mean you
couldn't update an affected type/extension while a JDBC session is
active.  That's no good.  (Imagine connection pools with hours of server
lifetime.)

Another option is that we invalidate the session when a thus-registered
type changes.  Also no good.  (We don't want an extension upgrade
suddenly breaking all open connections.)

Finally, we could do it an a best-effort basis.  We use binary format
for registered types, until there is some invalidation event for the
type, at which point we revert to default/text format until the end of a
session (or until another protocol message arrives re-registering the
type).  This should work, because the result row descriptor contains the
actual format type, and there is no guarantee that it's the same one
that was requested.

So how about that last option?  I imagine a new protocol message, say,
TypeFormats, that contains a number of type/format pairs.  The message
would typically be sent right after the first ReadyForQuery, gets no
response.  It could also be sent at any other time, but I expect that to
be less used in practice.  Binary format is used for registered types if
they have binary format support functions, otherwise text continues to
be used.  There is no error response for types without binary support.
(There should probably be an error response for registering a type that
does not exist.)