Re: BUG #16842: pg_dump uses seek calls on pipe files: suggesting adding a flag to disable seek calls

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: BUG #16842: pg_dump uses seek calls on pipe files: suggesting adding a flag to disable seek calls
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
=?utf-8?Q?Tomas_Dalebj=C3=B6rk?= <tomas.dalebjork@gmail.com> writes:
> thanks for the feedback Tom
> is the seek enabled only if —format=custom
> or is it enabled regardless of which flag used?

There's no seeking required for plain-text output format, but of
course that's even less flexible.  Don't recall offhand about tar
format.

One thing I am kind of wondering about is why the whole thing is
a problem for you at all.  If the device refuses seeks, shouldn't
our probe fail, and then we'll go on our way without data offsets?