Re: bg worker: patch 1 of 6 - permanent process

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: bg worker: patch 1 of 6 - permanent process
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Markus Wanner <markus@bluegap.ch> writes:
> On 08/26/2010 02:44 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
>> On the more general topic of imessages, I had one other thought that
>> might be worth considering.  Instead of using shared memory, what
>> about using a file that is shared between the sender and receiver?

> What would that buy us?

Not having to have a hard limit on the space for unconsumed messages?

> The current approach uses plain spinlocks, which are more efficient.

Please note the coding rule that says that the code should not execute
more than a few straight-line instructions while holding a spinlock.
If you're copying long messages while holding the lock, I don't think
spinlocks are acceptable.