Re: Let's drop some GUCs (bgwriter)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Let's drop some GUCs (bgwriter)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> I find the addition a little baffling, since previous tests ... both mine,
> and discussion of tests last December ... showed that manipulating the
> bgwriter variables had no useful effects, and one might as well leave them
> alone.

Perhaps that just proves that you're using a test that's insensitive to
bgwriter effects; or that the defaults are so far off optimal that the
range of values you experimented with are all equally bad.  Certainly
you cannot point to tests from last December as meaning anything
relevant to CVS tip, because the bgwriter algorithms have changed
completely since then.

The fact is that we don't know optimal settings for these values, and
removing the variables that make it convenient to experiment with them
will accomplish nothing except to guarantee that no one ever does
experiment enough to find out what the optimal values are.