Re: [HACKERS] Current sources?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Current sources?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> On Sat, 23 May 1998, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Do you want to adopt the Mozilla method where there is a tarball
>> available with the CVS control files already in place?  I'd recommend
>> it; my initial checkout over a 28.8K modem took well over two hours.

>     Can you try it with a -z and time it?

Well, the Mozilla boys are quite right: -z3 is a nice win over a modem
line.  A full checkout with -z3 took 38 minutes, vs about 130 without.

Let's see, the tarfile equivalent of the checked-out tree comes to
3947839 bytes, which would take about 25-30 minutes to download across
this line.  So there's not much savings to be had from downloading a
tarfile instead of doing a checkout.

It might still be worth providing CVS control files in the snapshot
tarballs, just so that someone who downloads a snap and later decides
to start using CVS doesn't have to start from scratch.  The overhead of
doing so seems to be only about a 1% increase in the tar.gz filesize.
But it may not be worth your trouble to mess with the snapshot
generation script...

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Current sources?
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Current sources?