Re: REINDEX ALL

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: REINDEX ALL
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres@cybertec.at> writes:
> What is this patch supposed to do?
> As far as I can see, there is already a reindex command ...

> test=# \h reindex
> Command:     REINDEX
> Syntax:
> REINDEX { DATABASE | TABLE | INDEX } name [ FORCE ]

IIRC, "REINDEX DATABASE" only reindexes the system catalogs.  I suppose
Joshua is thinking of reindexing all non-system tables --- whether in
addition to the system catalogs, or just the user tables, isn't clear
... and it makes a difference to what I think the syntax should be ...

Another variant possibly worth considering is REINDEX TABLESPACE to hit
everything within a particular tablespace (defined with respect to the
table's tablespace, or the index's?  I dunno)

Really the question that needs to be answered for any of these is what's
the use-case driving the need for the feature.  Without that you have no
idea what it ought to do.