Re: High Performance/High Reliability File system on SuSE64

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: High Performance/High Reliability File system on SuSE64
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Christopher Weimann <cweimann@k12hq.com> writes:
> You can do snapshots in FreeBSD 5.x with UFS2 as well but that (
> nor XFS snapshots ) will let you backup with the database server
> running.  Just because you will get the file exactly as it was at
> a particular instant does not mean that the postmaster did not
> still have some some data that was not flushed to disk yet.

It *will* work, if you have an instantaneous filesystem snapshot
covering the entire $PGDATA directory tree (both data files and WAL).
Restarting the postmaster on the backup will result in a WAL replay
sequence, and at the end the data files will be consistent.  If this
were not so, we'd not be crash-proof.  The instantaneous snapshot
is exactly equivalent to the on-disk state at the moment of a kernel
crash or power failure, no?

Сообщение: Re: Unique index and estimated rows.
Сообщение: Re: Unique index and estimated rows.