Re: 7.2 or 7.4 for critical data?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: 7.2 or 7.4 for critical data?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
jarednevans@yahoo.com (Jared Evans) writes:
> I will be installing Debian distro soon at my company.  I'll be
> storing critical data and am wondering if I should go with stable 7.2
> version or use the 7.4 version (for all the latest features and bug
> fixes).  I'm currently doing the research for the management here.

7.2 is not "stable", it's "obsolete".  We stopped fixing bugs in it
quite some time ago.  I would consider it less reliable than either
7.3.6 or 7.4.2, because it hasn't gotten the benefit of fixes for any
bugs discovered in the last year or more.  By and large we do tend to
fix more bugs than we introduce with each new release ;-).

My recommendation would be to go with 7.4.2 (or later).  You could also
make a case for 7.3.6 but really I think that that's pointless for a new
installation.  The only good reason to be installing 7.3.6 at this point
is if you've got an existing database you can't afford to initdb, or if
you've got serious compatibility problems with updating an existing
application to 7.4.