Re: ALTER TABLE modifications

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: ALTER TABLE modifications
Дата
Re: ALTER TABLE modifications  (Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au>)
Список pgsql-patches
Rod Taylor <pg@rbt.ca> writes:
> On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 09:57, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> I can do this by hand.  If we have an explicit command to do it, then it
>> needs to preserve the table schema.  Else, this feature would be mostly
>> useless and a certain source of complaints.

> The method was agreed to on -hackers prior to any code having been
> written.

I believe the consensus was that automating what you could do by hand
is still a step forward.

It clearly would be better if we could relabel the logical column
position after finishing the whole process, but I agree with Rod that
that is an independent patch.  Combining them into one mega-patch
doesn't sound like good engineering.

I guess the real question here is whether we would want to revert this
capability if a patch to adjust logical column orderings doesn't appear
before 7.5.  My vote would be "no", but apparently Peter's is "yes".
Any other opinions?

Сообщение: Re: ALTER TABLE modifications
Сообщение: Re: ALTER TABLE modifications