Re: massive quotes?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: massive quotes?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Richard Hall" <rhall@micropat.com> writes:
> But if THIS solution is implemented then
> QUOTE('MyEndMarker')
>     and
> MyEndMarker
>     become noise words and it seems the parser could just assume to handle everything between
> CREATE FUNCTION ... AS
>     and
> LANGUAGE
>     as the delimiters for a function definition.

> But as that's so simple I must be missing something.

Well, for one thing, that approach means that LANGUAGE is the *only*
terminating delimiter, which loses most of the benefit of the
here-document-inspired approach --- you can't quote material that
includes the word LANGUAGE, which among other things keeps you from
nesting quoted blocks.  Also, this approach is useless for quoting
material in any context except CREATE FUNCTION.  If we are going to
have a special lexer mechanism, it'd be good to make it useful for
creating quoted strings in all contexts.