Re: unlogged tables

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: unlogged tables
Дата
Re: unlogged tables  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> Here is a series of three patches related to unlogged tables.
> 1. The first one (relpersistence-v1) is a mostly mechanical patch that
> replaces pg_class.relistemp (a Boolean) with pg_class.relpersistence
> (a character), so that we can support more than two values.  BE SURE
> YOU INITDB, since the old catalog format will not work with this patch
> applied.

While I'm griping ... is there a really good reason to do it that way,
rather than adding a new column?  This will break clients that are
looking at relistemp.  Maybe there aren't any, but I wouldn't bet on
that, and it doesn't seem like you're buying a lot by creating this
incompatibility.  I would also argue that temp-ness is a distinct
concept from logged-ness.