Re: Thinking about EXPLAIN ALTER TABLE

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Thinking about EXPLAIN ALTER TABLE
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 at 16:32, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> We were just busy shooting down a different suggestion of
>> behavior-changing GUCs.  A GUC that turns all ALTERs into no-ops
>> sure seems like a foot-gun to me.

> How would you test a script? Manually edit each one with the new option?
> Manual editing is more of a foot gun.

I don't see how EXPLAIN ALTER TABLE would meaningfully be something
you use in a script.  If you have a script with many steps including
ALTER TABLEs, it's likely that each ALTER depends on the effects of
prior steps, and it's even more likely that the steps after an ALTER
depend on it having executed.

Сообщение: Re: Thinking about EXPLAIN ALTER TABLE
Сообщение: Re: Thinking about EXPLAIN ALTER TABLE