Re: [bug fix] pg_ctl always uses the same event source

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [bug fix] pg_ctl always uses the same event source
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> writes:
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 6:57 PM, MauMau <maumau307@gmail.com> wrote:
>> To follow this, we have the line as:
>>
>> #event_source = 'PostgreSQL 9.4'
>>
>> But this requires us to change this line for each major release.  That's a
>> maintenance headache.

> What I had in mind was to change it during initdb, we are already doing it
> for some other parameter (unix_socket_directories),

What happens when somebody copies their postgresql.conf from an older
version?  That's hardly uncommon, even though it might be considered bad
practice.  I don't think it's a good idea to try to insert a version
identifier this way.

But ... what's the point of including the PG version in this string
anyhow?  If you're trying to make the string unique across different
installations on the same machine, it's surely insufficient, and if
that's not the point then what is?