Re: Possible bug with ALTER LANGUAGE ... OWNER TO ...

От Erik Jones
Тема Re: Possible bug with ALTER LANGUAGE ... OWNER TO ...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Dec 8, 2008, at 1:42 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Erik Jones <ejones@engineyard.com> writes:
>> I've just run up against a problem with ALTER LANGUAGE ... OWNER
>> TO ... wherein the change of ownership does not propagate to a
>> language's handler and validator functions preventing you from
>> dropping the role if it created a language.  I'm assuming a valid
>> workaround is manually change the owner of the handler and validator
>> functions but I'd think that changing a languages owning role should
>> propagate to any other objects created when the language was created.
>
> Why?  The underlying functions are independent objects, in the general
> case.

While I understand what you're saying, in the general case, in this
specific case I have a hard time grokking it.  I guess I was thinking
in terms of a language owning it's handler and validator functions but
I now see that dropping a language doesn't also drop the underlying
functions, which I also find unintuitive.

> What you really want for this case is REASSIGN OWNED, I think.

Yeah, that covers my specific use case nicely but for "whoopsie" cases
where a language is created with the wrong user by accident it
wouldn't really help.

Erik Jones, Database Administrator
Engine Yard
Support, Scalability, Reliability