Re: Starting / Stopping Postgres Database

От Sean Davis
Тема Re: Starting / Stopping Postgres Database
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 12:40 AM, Marc Abbott <MarcA@medscheme.co.za> wrote:
> I need to allow sysadmins to start and stop the database through a front-end
> application but I do not want to use the postgres user. Is there a privilege
> I can grant to a current role they already have access to? Or is there some
> sort of config that needs to be done in the config files to allow this? We
> will only allow these commands to be executed by certain Ip addresses to
> keep it as secure as possible.

I think there might be some confusion, either on my part or yours.
You cannot shutdown the server remotely and roles created in the
database or in configuration files have nothing to do with shutting
down the database.  The sysadmins need to login to the machine (not
the database, but the actual machine) that hosts the database and
issue one of a couple of commands at the command line.  The access to
the machine is granted via normal user accounts on the machine and not
via roles in the database.

For more details, see the help here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/app-pg-ctl.html

Sean