Re: OIDs as keys

От daniel alvarez
Тема Re: OIDs as keys
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
> Neil Conway wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 16:13, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > It would be good to somehow SET the use_oids GUC value on restore
> start,
> > > and just use SET when the table is different than the default, but
> then
> > > there is no mechanism to do that when you restore a single table.
> >
> > What if the default value changes?
> >
> > IMHO, running a SET per CREATE TABLE isn't too ugly...
>
> Not ugly, but a little noisy.  However, my idea of having a single SET
> at the top is never going to work, so I don't have a better idea.

Why isn't this done on a per-session basis? Having a session setting for the
common case and a CREATE-TABLE clause for the specifics sounds natural.

When a single table needs to be restored all one needs to to is changing the
session setting before running the CREATE command. The alternative clause
in CREATE-TABLE statements would be used as a cleaner way of expressing
the same thing without affecting the session, when the statement's text can
be entered manually (as opposed to loading it from an existing dumpfile).

The default for the session setting could be set in the configuration file
then.

regards,   Daniel Alvarez Arribas  <d-alvarez@gmx.de>