Re: Table vs. row level locks confusion

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Table vs. row level locks confusion
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> The following section
> http://www.ca.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/postgres/locking-tables.html
> titled "Locking and Tables", has two subsections, "Table-level locks" and
> "Row-level locks".  Under table-level locks we find lock names such as
> RowShareLock and RowExclusiveLock -- are those table-level locks?

Yes, despite the names.  (The various lock-type names are pretty
horrible IMHO, but they are claimed to be Oracle-compatible.)
Anything you do with a LOCK command is a table-level lock.

> Under row-level locks we find no specific lock names mentioned.

The only row-level locking mechanism available to users is
to UPDATE, DELETE, or SELECT FOR UPDATE a particular row.
All rows affected by such a command are locked against other
such commands (but not against plain SELECT).