Re: Docbook 5.x

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Docbook 5.x
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
>> Yes, agreed.  The killer objection placed last time was that it took
>> something like 10x longer to generate the HTML using the XML-based
>> toolchain than the SGML-based ones.  If this is not fixed, let's forget
>> about this whole thing until it is.  So, would you time the process
>> using both toolchains and report back?

> IIRC:
> TGL submitted a patch for the openjade bug way back when that caused
> that issue.

I think you're thinking of this:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/24388.1166800682@sss.pgh.pa.us

I do not recall just when/how that got resolved upstream, or if they
ever even responded to me.  But it must have been resolved, because the
performance before that was patched was untenable even then, and would be
far more so now considering how much our docs have grown since 2006.
I have not heard anyone complaining lately that PDF output takes three
days to build.

In short, I doubt that that's relevant anymore.  If it was, it would
certainly not be favorable to the XML toolchain.

BTW, the thread that that message is embedded in is pretty relevant,
because it was all about yet another lets-switch-to-XML proposal...