Re: Inconsistent query times and spiky CPU with GIN tsvector search

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: Inconsistent query times and spiky CPU with GIN tsvector search
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Scott Rankin wrote:
> We are running postgresql 9.4 and we have a table where we do some
> full-text searching using a GIN index on a tsvector column:
>
> CREATE INDEX location_search_tsvector_idx
>     ON public.location_search USING gin
>     (search_field_tsvector)
>     TABLESPACE pg_default;
>
> This setup has been running very well, but as our load is getting heavier,
> the performance seems to be getting much more inconsistent.
> Our searches are run on a dedicated read replica, so this server is only
> doing queries against this one table.  IO is very low, indicating to me
> that the data is all in memory.  However, we're getting some queries taking
> upwards of 15-20 seconds, while the average is closer to 1 second.
>
> A sample query that's running slowly is
>
> explain (analyze, buffers)
> SELECT ls.location AS locationId FROM location_search ls
> WHERE ls.client = 1363
> AND ls.favorite = TRUE
> AND search_field_tsvector @@ to_tsquery('CA-94:* &E &San:*')
> LIMIT 4;
>
> And the explain analyze is:
>
> Limit  (cost=39865.85..39877.29 rows=1 width=8) (actual time=4471.120..4471.120 rows=0 loops=1)
>   Buffers: shared hit=25613
>   ->  Bitmap Heap Scan on location_search ls  (cost=39865.85..39877.29 rows=1 width=8) (actual
time=4471.117..4471.117rows=0 loops=1)

>         Recheck Cond: (search_field_tsvector @@ to_tsquery('CA-94:* &E &San:*'::text))
>         Filter: (favorite AND (client = 1363))
>         Rows Removed by Filter: 74
>         Heap Blocks: exact=84
>         Buffers: shared hit=25613
>         ->  Bitmap Index Scan on location_search_tsvector_idx  (cost=0.00..39865.85 rows=6 width=0) (actual
time=4470.895..4470.895rows=84 loops=1)

>               Index Cond: (search_field_tsvector @@ to_tsquery('CA-94:* &E &San:*'::text))
>               Buffers: shared hit=25529
> Planning time: 0.335 ms
> Execution time: 4487.224 ms

Not sure, but maybe you are suffering from bad performance because of a
long "GIN pending list".

If yes, then the following can help:

  ALTER INDEX location_search_tsvector_idx SET (gin_pending_list_limit = 512);

Or you can disable the feature altogether:

  ALTER INDEX location_search_tsvector_idx SET (fastupdate = off);

Then clean the pending list with

  SELECT gin_clean_pending_list('location_search_tsvector_idx'::regclass);

Disabling the pending list will slow down data modification, but should
keep the SELECT performance stable.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe