Re: multi-tenant vs. multi-cluster

От Nicholson, Brad (Toronto, ON, CA)
Тема Re: multi-tenant vs. multi-cluster
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Not for reducing overall numbers of connections on the server.

> >> Given that each application will be independent, I don't see a
> >> different between clusters and schemas here either.
> >
> > The difference is that in a single cluster, a single instance is
> going to make decisions about what data to cache or not.  This is an
> overly simplified example - but illustrates the point.  Say you have
> 4GB of RAM available to dedicate to a shared buffers on a server, and
> two databases (DB A and DB B) to run.  You either set up a single
> instance with a 4GB pool, or two instances with 2GB pools each.  Let's
> say that DB A gets really busy, and DB B is not.  In the shared
> instance approach, the instance can evict buffers cached for DB B in
> order to load buffers needed for DB A.  In the split instance, you
> can't.
>
> Ah, that's an illustrative example. Thanks.
>
> OK, so are there any good ways to keep a bad/clueless user from gumming
> up a whole cluster? Something like statement_timeout, but for
> transactions, seems like it would be idle.

statement_timeout will only time out SQL queries, not DB transactions.  There is nothing internal for that.  It's a
fairlyeasy query to terminate all IDLE transactions, but you have to be careful that you aren't terminating active
sessions.

Brad.