Re: installation options... Please help...

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: installation options... Please help...
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
"Steve Ackerman" <sacker3254@yahoo.com> writes:
> setting the --maxbackends to 256 also changes the default buffers from 64 to
> 512, right? If not is this only done with the -B switch?

AFAIR, -N (--maxbackends) *only* sets the max # of backends.  You should
also specify an appropriate number of shared buffers (-B).  The
postmaster enforces a minimum -B setting of twice -N, but that's
probably on the low side --- if you're thinking -N of 100 or so,
I'd suggest -B of 500 to 1000, maybe more.

Feel free to experiment and report back on what seems to work well
for your application mix...