Re: [BUGS] Equal test on strings doesn't ignore trailing spaces if the function 'lower' is applied

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [BUGS] Equal test on strings doesn't ignore trailing spaces if the function 'lower' is applied
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
"Alain TESIO" <tesio@easynet.fr> writes:
> I have to apply rtrim explicitely if the string to
> compare has been converted to lowercase :

lower() is a text function, not a fixed-length-char function,
so the result of lower() is assumed to have significant trailing
blanks.  It's not clear to me that the behavior you're complaining
about is a bug.

I'd suggest using varchar or text if you are dealing with strings
that are actually variable-length.