Re: Re: backend hangs at immediate shutdown (Re: Back-branch update releases coming in a couple weeks)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Re: backend hangs at immediate shutdown (Re: Back-branch update releases coming in a couple weeks)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Andres Freund escribi�:
>> What we could do to improve the robustness a bit - at least on linux -
>> is to prctl(PR_SET_PDEATHSIG, SIGKILL) which would cause children to be
>> killed if the postmaster goes away...

> This is an interesting idea (even if it has no relationship to the patch
> at hand).

The traditional theory has been that that would be less robust, not
more so.  Child backends are (mostly) able to carry out queries whether
or not the postmaster is around.  True, you can't make new connections,
but how does killing the existing children make that better?