Re: BLCKSZ

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: BLCKSZ
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Ron <rjpeace@earthlink.net> writes:
> Where?  BLCKSZ as large as 64KB has been shown to improve
> performance.

Not in the Postgres context, because you can't set BLCKSZ higher than
32K without doing extensive surgery on the page item pointer layout.
If anyone's actually gone to that much trouble, they sure didn't
publicize their results ...

>> Postgresql 7.4.8. Server dual Opteron 240, 4Gb RAM.

> _Especially_ with that HW, upgrade to at least 8.0.x ASAP.  It's a
> good idea to not be running pg 7.x anymore anyway, but it's
> particularly so if you are running 64b SMP boxes.

I agree with this bit --- 8.1 is a significant improvement on any prior
version for SMP boxes.  It's likely that 8.2 will be better yet,
because this is an area we just recently started paying serious
attention to.

Сообщение: Re: two disks - best way to use them?
Сообщение: Re: two disks - best way to use them?