Re: Postgresql 9.0.6 backends pruning process environment?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Postgresql 9.0.6 backends pruning process environment?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 06:40, dennis jenkins
> <dennis.jenkins.75@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I recently updated my Gentoo Linux development system from postgresql
>> 9.0.4 to 9.0.6-r1 (9.0.6 plus some Gentoo specific patches). �One of
>> my 'C' language functions (been using it for years) stopped working
>> because the backend no longer had access to the PGDATA environment
>> variable. �A snippet of code is included below.

> I suggest you look at the version history of the gentoo packaging and
> scripts instead. My guess is that something was changed there.

Yes.  A PG backend will not remove a "PGDATA" envar, but *it does not
set it either*.  This sounds to me like a change in the startup script.

> You can look at the configuration variable data_directory, or use the
> C symbol DataDir which is exported from the backend.

Quite --- at the C level, looking at DataDir is the right thing, and
looking at PGDATA could be misleading even if it exists --- consider
the possibility that we took the data_directory setting from the
command line or postgresql.conf.