Re: 16 parameter limit

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: 16 parameter limit
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
"Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> Personally, as a heavy user of PL/pgSQL procedures, I'm not sure you
>  need to increase the *default* number of parameters.  Postgres just
>  needs to implement a parameter number change as part of a documented
>  command-line compile-time option, i.e. "--with-parameters=32".

I would not object to providing such a configure option; it seems a
reasonable thing to do.  But the real debate here seems to be what
the default should be.  The ACS people would like their code to run
on a "stock" Postgres installation, so they've been lobbying to change
the default, not just to make it fractionally easier to build a
non-default configuration.

> Also, what is the practical maximum number of parameters?

If you tried to make it more than perhaps 500, you'd start to see
index-tuple-too-big failures in the pg_proc indexes.  Realistically,
though, I can't see people calling procedures with hundreds of
positionally-specified parameters --- such code would be unmanageably
error-prone.

I was surprised that people were dissatisfied with 16 (it was 8 not very
long ago...).  Needing more strikes me as a symptom of either bad coding
practices or missing features of other sorts.
        regards, tom lane

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: