Re: Asssociative Arrays: Best practices / snippets?

От Stefan Keller
Тема Re: Asssociative Arrays: Best practices / snippets?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Steve, Filip: Many thanks for your patient answers and concerns. Did'nt know hstore!

=> Is it enough to run the hstore.sql (found in ..\8.3\share\contrib\ plus .dll) in order to install this contrib type under Windows?

=> What's the status of this contribution? Is it going to be still in 8.4? (else I would still consider Arrays).

As for the background: I'm importing data from OpenStreetMap - "the Wikipedia of Maps" - actuall by applying "good" database design principles. This entity-attribute-value model get's mapped to a relational one. Now I won't and can't map all attributes (called tags). That's where the idea about associative arrays came in. The KVPs would be an ANDed in a search with "regular" columns.

So, my answer to Leif's hot-blooded judgment about KVPs could be: "Know when to break the rules" ;->
-S.