Re: Nondeterministic collations vs. text_pattern_ops

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Nondeterministic collations vs. text_pattern_ops
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Here is a draft patch.

> It will require a catversion change because those operator classes don't
> have assigned OIDs so far.

That's slightly annoying given where we are with v12.  We could
avoid it by looking up the opclass's opfamily and seeing if it's
TEXT_BTREE_FAM_OID etc, which do already have hand-assigned OIDs.
But maybe avoiding a catversion bump now is not worth the cost of
an extra syscache lookup.  (It'd give me an excuse to shove the
leakproofness-marking changes from the other thread into v12, so
there's that.)

Speaking of extra syscache lookups, I don't like that you rearranged
the if-test to check nondeterminism before the opclass identity checks.
That's usually going to be a wasted lookup.

> The comment block I just moved over for the time being.  It should
> probably be rephrased a bit.

Indeed.  Maybe like

     * text_pattern_ops uses text_eq as the equality operator, which is
     * fine as long as the collation is deterministic; text_eq then
     * reduces to bitwise equality and so it is semantically compatible
     * with the other operators and functions in the opclass.  But with a
     * nondeterministic collation, text_eq could yield results that are
     * incompatible with the actual behavior of the index (which is
     * determined by the opclass's comparison function).  We prevent
     * such problems by refusing creation of an index with this opclass
     * and a nondeterministic collation.
     *
     * The same applies to varchar_pattern_ops and bpchar_pattern_ops.
     * If we find more cases, we might decide to create a real mechanism
     * for marking opclasses as incompatible with nondeterminism; but
     * for now, this small hack suffices.
     *
     * Another solution is to use a special operator, not text_eq, as the
     * equality opclass member, but that is undesirable because it would
     * prevent index usage in many queries that work fine today.