Re: [HACKERS] [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add psql variables showing server version and psql version.

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add psql variables showing server version and psql version.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> * Clarification that this will work for current AND past server versions

The short answer is it works.  I do not think we need a longer answer.

(The existing comment in libpq says that the "select version()" method
works in any server version that supports protocol v2, which means that
we will derive a correct server version ID for any server that modern
libpq is capable of connecting to at all.  I've not gone back to re-verify
what I wrote in 2003, but I see no reason to doubt it.  We'd have been
considerably more fussed about whether PQserverVersion worked correctly
for ancient server versions back then than we need be today.)

> * Clarification to avoid confusion between VERSION and SERVER_VERSION

In what way are these variables not adequately specified already?